The story of AVANT Magazine Issue 3
AVANT Magazine Issue 3, digs into the history of France with particular focus on the workers, the farmers and the peasants during the 19th and the 20th centuries. There’s a conversation with Tom Gruat, the king of French workwear, and also with Denis Bruna, curator in chief of the Musée des Arts décoratifs in Paris, and Frederic Marc Marion, vintage dealer and collector of French workwear. The AVANT team also talk with six experts of French Workwear in Japan, so they can explain to us how it’s booming right now in Japan.
There’s a visit Euro Costumes, a costume rental company in Pantin, near Paris, and an interview with its owner, Pascale Bourtequoi, who explain how she built a colossal stock of antique clothes. This issue also teaches you how to recognise buttons on a French hunting jacket, and explain what moleskin really is.
AVANT Magazine is a collection of vintage clothing anthologies founded and compiled by Eric Maggiori. The biannual magazine celebrates the story of vintage clothing in the past, present and future, covering workwear and military clothing from around the world
Inside this issue
- Discover the great history of miners from the North of France and their outfit of choice
- 19th century indigo linen firefighter jackets attract French workwear lovers from all around
- Read the story of this legendary brand, who has dressed Breton peasants for decades
- In Japan, French workwear has experienced a real boom in the past years. Six store owners tell us about this societal phenomenon
- Walk down the aisles of the largest costume rental company in France
- Tom Gruat interview: When it comes to French workwear, he is the leading reference. His interview is a must-read
- Douglas Gunn interview: Founders of the Vintage Showroom, Douglas Gunn and Roy Luckett have published two books in which they highlight French workwear pieces
- Denis Bruna interview: Chief curator at the Musée des Arts décoratifs in Paris, he has studied the evolution of working class clothing dating back to the Middle Ages
- Frédéric Marc Marion: Founder of the Bazar des Poilus, he goes back in time to retrace his career
- Unique cover painting by Geg Newbokld made exclusively for Avant Magazine
- A series of French antique pictures from the archives of Tom Gruat, Romainville’s town hall, and the Museum of Bretagne
- Rare French pieces from the personal collection of Tom Gruat.